Monday, January 14, 2008

My Courage v. The Founding Fathers' Courage

I was going to save this until July 4th - Independence Day. I was going to talk about the sacrifice & struggle & loss (family, money, life) that the Signers of the Declaration of Independence endured to create this great Country.

But now, I must comment due to a recent event.

I, as I am sure many of you, have been told, not to talk about politics when meeting business people. You know, like you're at lunch with a potential client, and you know it's dangerous to start out with trying to have a "friendly" discussion about politics, religion, or even, your favorite baseball team.

But, because I let people (who I already have personal and business relationships with) know who I'm voting for in the upcoming election, I'm getting flak for "mixing" politics with business - and I'll give you one guess at to which party he/she is affiliated with.

Now, I ask you, how courageous of an American would I be if I shirked away from this simple act of sending an e-mail because it might offend someone or because it was "bad for business?"

Would I really be truly appreciating - and being grateful for - the Freedoms I enjoy because of the sacrifice of the Founding Fathers, the Civil War casualties, the 20th Century war veterans and soldiers - if I didn't even have the courage to press "Send" to those I know (my family, friends, and colleagues)? They sacrificed a little bit more than an offended business colleague.

[And btw, how about those laws about doing business with people of all race, color or creed - doesn't that apply to all party affiliations too?]

We're not even talking about me canvassing door to door, or making phone calls, or waving signs, etc., which would require a little more effort and risk.

What kind of America is it when someone gets offended because you told them who you support in an election year?

It's seems to me that "tolerance" and "freedom" has a very odd definition in this Country today, and I'm ready for it to be a 2-way street.

I'm not supposed to express my views by trying to make it fit into your views. And, neither are you.

The problem is in America today that certain religions and political party affiliations are "allowed" to be open, vocal, and even in-your-face about their beliefs, and if you even blink, never mind disagree, you're instantly labeled "intolerant." But, then the double standard kicks in, and if you're of a certain religion (Christian), or in favor of a certain political party (Republican), or even of a certain gender (male), then when you speak of your faith, politics or needs, you are to be silenced because you are offensive.

When I state my beliefs I'm talking about ME not THE PERSON I'M TALKING TO. So, if I'm not talking about THE OTHER PERSON, and THE OTHER PERSON chooseS to be offended, then that's THE OTHER PERSON'S problem.

I refuse to be silenced. How 'bout you?

To translate this into the political arena:

I think that's part of why I like Mike - he refuses to conform to the cowardice and apologetic attitude that those of the "acceptably vocal" party/faiths would like him to do.

I don't care whether he's of the same faith as you or not, you have to respect the fact that he insists on an EQUAL 2-way street, and that, in the face of fierce political storms, and at great risk to his wealth and status, he insists on not silencing his views and beliefs just to ensure that someone else doesn't get offended. That's what he's supposed to do - that's why he's running to be the next President of the United States.

I think this episode with one of those intolerant Democrats -

(Oh btw, that Democrat was initially offended by my even stating that I was voting for the "other" party - but he/she finally got reconciled to the idea of my expressing an opinion because he/she justified it by saying that I had a burning passion that couldn't be quelched. So, what if it was just a passing fancy, should I have then been silent under those rules? And, after 3 sentences, he/she finally convinced him/herself that my stating my view on candidates was okay because as he/she put it, "after all this is America.")


- has ignited a burning passion in me to just get "crazy" and do what some other supporters do and say, put a sign on my lawn, put a sticker on my car, y'know get really wild! I guess telling strangers who you support is, under the "rules" not as offensive as telling your friends and colleagues.

I refuse to be silenced. How 'bout you?

I'm ready for America's pendulum to swing a little more to center, where one party doesn't have a monopoly on freedom of speech and marches on Washington!
___________________________________________

Wishing Mike & his supporters All the Best,
Theresa
The Kids' Bank Book

No comments: