Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Is it just me or is there something about Mitt that just seems off?

First, he came across to me that he was stilted. But, I knew there was more, I just couldn't put my fin ger on it. Then, it started to come to me -

He's full of himself!

He's not bad, he's not hurtful, he's not out to stab people in the back (as that other full-of-herself candidate is), and he does help people, and he does want to do things that help other people, it's just that,

He cares more about his ego than his voters.

I can relate to this - because I'm alot like that! So, in the words of a former Supreme Court Justice, "I know it when I see it." I'm a bookworm by nature and have always been challenged by social interactions the way most people struggle with calculus. It's not that I don't care about people - I DO, and deeply - but I am challenged by thinking of my status and stature so often, as in "How did what I just said impress someone?" "Do they think I'm important?" Many lawyers have this trait - it's why we gravitate to the insane world of lawyerdom.

And, it's probably why Mike Huckabee comes across so differently - maybe it's because he's NOT a lawyer, because he doesn't have that lawyer gene that says, "How did I look? Did I impress them?"

I'll give you another example of this. Mitt likes to tell this story (which is in his recent speech in Detroit - I cut & pasted it from his campaign's website's transcript of the speech):
I said to her after we made the decision to get into this race, and you've probably heard it before, I said, 'Ann, in your wildest dreams did you see me running for President of the United States?'


Now, I can absolutely tell you without a doubt that if I ran for President, that's EXACTLY what I would say to my husband (Chuck)!!! And, there's nothing wrong with that - but it IS about trying to be impressed with yourself, or being impressed with thinking about how many people you're influencing.

Now, if my husband ran for President, it would never occur to him to ask that, impressing people is just not on his radar - making real-life authentic connections, faults and all, with people is what really makes him feel good.

So, you can see now 1 other reason why I like Mike Huckabee for President - it's sort of like getting the "Best of Both Worlds" (to borrow a phrase from my 6 year old daughter's favorite pop star, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus).

Anyway, if you're considering Mitt Romney, I'm not saying he's a bad guy or inherently flawed by this trait or anything - I'm just labeling a "gut feeling" - OR maybe you've had that same gut feeling about him too, and now you know why.

As to the issues, here's a great video about Mitt Romney's stance on the issues, vis-a-vis campaign-trail versus in-office:



___________________________________________

Wishing Mike & his supporters All the Best,
Theresa
The Kids' Bank Book

No comments: